Thursday, November 6, 2008

First posting






Hi all -


This is the project in my garage that is closest to being finished and ridden. This is my interpretation of a Hawaiian Alaia (AAH-LEE-AAH).
By the time Captain Cook of the Royal Navy stumbled on the Hawaiian civilization, this type of board was being ridden by the non-royalty. No fins, leashes, metal shaping tools, electricity, theories of hydrodynamics or surf wax were used back then to design, make or ride these - just raw talent and a serious connection to the ocean.
The rails are thin - knify thin - to provide holding power (no fins remember). From gluing the paulownia strips together to taking the latest strokes with a block plane, this has been a lesson in humility. I am hoping for the best... MTF

2 comments:

Palencia Properties said...

Hey Victor,

This is a nice Alaia. Where do you get the wood for the project & how much did it cost for the project?

I ran across your blog searching for sacred craft 2009 and bookmarked it I've been contemplating giving shaping a try for a while. Good to see there are others out there.

Perry

Unknown said...

Victor, I absolutely love love your photo of the happy boy and the man with the squished face. Love it! I've linked to you, wish I found you earlier. Good luck. I love your posts, and I look forward to reading more! take care! christina