Monday, January 19, 2009

Great waves!


The swell hit and although not as big as the forecasters called for, was still a blast!

Sunday dawn patrol - I brought the longboard (9'4" from Japan) and my newly finished shortboard (the tan one I have posted on here in the blog).

I checked Port Hueneme Beach first thinking the swell was supposed to be huge. It was flat. So I bypassed the strand (knowing it was going to be crowded), and parked at Oxnard Beach Park. I took the longboard out (thinking it was going to be smaller) and caught several head to 2' overhead waves. The waves wouldn't stay open for too long, but fun nevertheless!

I took a break to swap out boards. It actually been a while since the waves have been this good, so I haven't yet broken in the new 6'5". Well - this board performed exactly as I hoped it would! Paddles extremely well, catches waves easily and is loose while turning on the faces!

I attribute the "awesomeness" primarily to the extra volume in the board (subtle, but obviously significant in performance) and the quad setup. Using Futures knowing there is no capability to adjust the fins once the boxes are in is a huge gamble. Measure 3x and cut once - I got lucky this time!!! This Scimitar fin setup feels like a twinzer. Larger fronts with tiny trailers - me likey!!!

Anyways - no photographic evidence - my photographer isn't a morning person ;)

No comments: