Monday, February 9, 2009

Nick's Garage



When I was visiting BRAVO out on Oahu, I got to spend a few hours with my great friend Nick.

He showed me all the videos he's been shooting with his GoPro helmet mounted camera and the polished up products. I need to get busy with my camera...

He also took me to the garage and showed me the current work in progress (11'x 31" SUP) and the other finished boards on the racks.

Getting to talk with someone who has nearly the same interests is truly an awesome thing - When Nick first started shaping (grad student at Berkeley), he used standard techniques and glass layup - his comment long ago was "it's a messy process". When I first started shaping, I tried to use vacuum bag lamination and XPS foam - for me it was a messy process. Time has passed and somewhere along the way, Nick continued the composites track that I once thought I was going down and here I am going more and more primative (alaia). Pretty ironic (at least to a person who shapes boards and knows both Nick and I).

Here is Nick showing off his current arsenal of wave slashing devices.

No comments: