Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Weather Delay



It has been raining here in SOCAL for the past few days.

The day I took those SUP photos, I forgot to mention the water was pretty stinky - it had rained the day before. You are not supposed to go swimming at the beaches here for 72 hours after a significant rainfall (which is classified as anything over 0.1"). I needed to get rid of my surf itch so I went.

Now - four days later - I've got a weird headache that won't go away. The rain is still coming down and the water looks even nastier that it was on Saturday. I've learned my lesson "don't go surfing after a rain event unless I wear vented earplugs and a nose plug".

There.

With that out of the way, I have been drydocked again due to this inclement weather. Like most surf junkies, I have used this time to start doing gear maintenance. I put "Grip Dip" on the Walden SUP to act as a nose and tail guard (against sand impacts in the shallows), pictures to follow soon. I'm also planning on installing a gortex vent and several FCS plugs to have GoPro mounting options (maybe Thursday?). And I've been reading up (via the net) on how to make GyoTaku - Japanese Fish Rubbings - someday soon I know Marlon and I will catch a fish. That first one is going to be eaten, but before that, we will preserve a record of our catch for posterity. Check out some of what these artists are doing with their fish (get your mind out of the gutter!!!).


Lastly - a gratuitous pitch for the modern aloha shirt. This picture is from the Kahala shirt advertisements. It worked on me... outrigger canoe being surfed solo - I am a sucker for watercraft ancient and new.

See what happens when I can't surf???!!! My randomness gets the best of me... Help! I need some good waves!!!

No comments: