Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hawaiian Sailing Canoes




I don't know what it is about sailboats with multiple hulls - they are just so darn alluring...

I saw my first Hawaiian Sailing Canoe in person back in the summer of 2000. That had a profound effect on me that is still making me think I need two more kids (to fill the 6 man crew requirements of a full on canoe).

Back then I was hard into surfing bigger waves, kiting whenever the trades were willing and starting prone paddleboarding and the canoe crewing idea faded away quickly.

To this day I still feel drawn to these watercraft - knowing their place in history and their significance in human achievement - navigation of the Pacific and migration of sea-going humans across the vast open ocean. AWESOME!

The Weta is looking more and more like a done deal for Team Velasco...

More to follow -

No comments: