Sunday, September 6, 2009

Gulfport SUPing





In between getting used to the new job and unpacking the house, I have managed to get out a few times. I've mapped out a couple of distance routes, so far on either side of the Port of Gulfport. There is downwinder potential here, but until I find another SUPer to share car shuttling duties with, I'll have to paddle up to paddle down.

Bathymetry wise, this area is really shallow. And here at the end of Summer, the water is hot - not warm, but HOT. Mix that in with the flat water, and Marlon and Noe are no longer scared of the water.

I did find a spot that shoals in a way that reveals wind swell. I'm not talking Maliko run sized swell, but when you are as wave-energy dependent as I am, you will tell yourself anything to keep your sanity. The swell was close to 6", but enough to catch with the distance SUPs.

I will have to get creative to keep from falling apart over the next two years... Again - if there are any SUPers out there in cyberland that live in the Gulfport area, sound off so we can get the scene going here!!!

No comments: