Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Good Wind




The forecasts were calling for good wind today coming in straight from the East. These were the predictions since Sunday.

Well, the forecasters earned their paychecks - 12-16 by the time I made it out (1615) (iwindsurf.com was showing 15 - 25 on the high side, 12 - 20 on the lower end - I'm not sure where their sensor is, probably the airport or the base).

It looked like it was much stronger early on (the main flagpole on base is outside my window - it was almost stiff armed around 1400).

I'm glad we got the chance to go today - the weather is supposed to turn for the worst again, with a front pushing through and North winds setting in again this weekend (maybe tri sailing???)

Setup the V4 16 (I know it's old, but hey - I gotta take care of the family), and used the Stretch Trow. Also used the new harness (Dakine Sonic).

Awesome session!!! Got some great jumps and played in the pitifully small wind swell breaking over the sand bars. OH HOW THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN!

Oh well - you gotta appreciate what you got (and believe me I do - I will never take a wave for granted ever again, and I know what it feels like to be drydocked for a year)!!!

I also cannot believe there weren't any other people taking advantage of the wind. I know there is a pack of kiters on the other side of the harbor (Gulfport Beach), but we didn't make the drive out there in the interest of maximizing watertime.

I finally got the 5th line dialed in (again - I know that's so yesterday, but remember what my job is - I'm lucky to be home), and the harness was great!

I asked the kids if they wanted to learn to kite - it didn't surprise me they both said an emphatic "NO"

Someday...

Aloha!

No comments: