Saturday, March 13, 2010

Blanks MIA

I ordered blanks and supplies from two different sources last week.

I ordered SUP blanks from Pau Hana Surf Supply - one for Ray Rojas (11'6" finished - Board 10-A), La (9'2" finished that will fit inside the van so she can go paddle without me - Board 10-B), and a 7-11/8 (Board 10-C) for me to kill smaller waves with. I didn't get an email from them indicating shipping occurred yet, so I called to check. The guy on the other end said the blanks were still being glued up, and then asked in a curious manner "what are you doing over there in Mississippi that you would need SUP blanks?". I told him I'm a surf junkie that got relocated by my employer from Oxnard to Gulfport - and then we got into a longer conversation about surfing C Street in Ventura, the Strand in Hueneme and Pt Mugu - turns out he grew up in Oxnard - small world. It'll be another nearly two weeks before these blanks get in. BUT these guys have awesome shipping prices, so the wait should be worth it.

The other order was from Foam EZ - two fish blanks for the kids (I'm planning to make SUPs for them, but maybe they'll end up with surfboards... we'll see - Boards 10-D and 10-E) and a 8'+ that I'm going to take down to a 6' lightwind kiteboard (super flat rocker - easier to pull out of the middle of a longer funboard blank - Board 10-F). The shipment left on Tuesday and was originally scheduled to get to the house on Friday, but it's still somewhere in middle Mississippi. Which is probably for the better so I can focus on generating the templates this weekend (in the evenings, busy in the day as indicated in the previous post). This shipment has all the finboxes, epoxy and other pieces for the boards.

Talking with some other folks that have gotten word that I'm firing up the planer, I will probably be ordering another set of SUP blanks in the summer - more fun in the sun - not - it's not quite warm enough in the garage to glass yet, but it is perfect for shaping. In a few months the garage will be way too hot for anything...

SO, the lesson learned here, if you want to make surfboards, you should have lots of patience or live in SOCAL.

Pictures to follow as I:
1. Get the materials delivered.
2. Use up the scrap pieces of lumber in the garage to make new shaping racks.
3. Start mowing.

SU-GOI!!!!

No comments: