Sunday, April 25, 2010

Tri Sailing




Today - our amphibious adventure consisted of sailing our trimaran.

Took the tri out on two independent runs:

The first was with the family - rigged up just the main. We still got 9.1 kts in 14 kts of breeze. Marlon said he didn't get seasick this time - a good plus, while Noe started crying her eyes out saying she was cold - negative. One for two isn't too bad. They are still too young to keelhaul to improve their morale, so we tried the old fashioned way to make them feel better - dippin dots ice cream.

I called Roger up and then I rigged up all three sails. I wanted to sail with someone with more knowledge than I had to get better with the boat, especially off the wind (broad reaching). We made a long reach to the R2 marker off Cat Island, then headed back pinching for a bit so we could make a reach with the screecher back to the harbor. I forgot to tie off the roller furler line so we had some issues with the screecher, but we still had it up and running. Got 13 kts out of HOOYAH in 14-15 kts of breeze. Roger even coaxed me into sailing into the harbor to land the boat (I would have never done that on my own - clear, uncongested beach has been my mainstay) - smooth operation. There seemed like there were a few holes in the wind flow, but what a great day of sailing!!!

Nothing like a bunch of sore muscles and sun warmed skin to make you feel alive!

No comments: