Thursday, October 7, 2010

New Era



It has been a long time since I've bought a new kite (the latest ones I've gotten have been used ones).

Yet what is most significant about this is - this kite is not a Naish...

I have been looking for a while at what the new kites have evolved into since the golden era of the C kites (my Naish V4 16 is still my favorite kite ever) and I have been most impressed by how the Cabrihna line has come along (same conglomerate as Neilpryde and JP Australia). And this kite is supposed to have everything that I have been looking for - lofty jumps, massive depower and upwind pinching ability. And it was on big time sale -

I got the 11 m^2 first knowing winter is coming along (strong, stiff North winds - but have to go to Dauphin Island), and La can use this kite when I would be using a bigger kite (16 m^2).

I have to admit, I have been diverging from the Naish junkie I was. Don't get me wrong, their stuff always was and always will be incredible. It's just that there are so many other brands out there and I just feel it's time to experience other things (doesn't it sound like I'm breaking up with a girlfriend???). The evidence is there - Starboard SUPs, this Cabrihna Crossbow, Kialoa paddles - the opportunity certainly was there and I have gone in different directions.

Well, time will tell - I do have tremendously high expectations of this kite and I hope it delivers. And worst case, I could always stick a Naish sticker on the canopy and feel like I'm not cheating on them...

More to follow...

2 comments:

Lala said...

I know right...YOU NAISH trader! LOL!

NC Paddle Surfer said...

I know how you feel!

10 years on nothing but North, and now on a Cabrinha.

I've gotta say, Cabrinha hit a home run with the 2010 bar. Brillant design. I've also fallen in love with their boston valve inflataion connection. The kite pumps up super fast!

What's even funnier, Cabrinha's been using the boston valve for 10 years and only now are the other brands starting to copy it for 2011 and 2012 production.

Oh, the kite flies nice too.