Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Wind that was not to be




Between work, La running half marathons and just the general lack of wind, we haven't been out to the beach much. Sure the weather has been wonderful (60s to even low 70s), but without surf or wind, the idea of going to the beach just hasn't sunk in.

Also, with limited time left in my hands before we have to pick up and move again, I have been trying to knock out all the board projects I have in the garage (but that is for another post).

Well that nonsense of not going to the beach ended Sunday. We got up and went to the beach. Not really enough wind to make it thrilling - or even worth setting up the sail for - I ended up bulldozing in the tent. And actually, the extra sleep was well appreciated.

And it really ended on Monday - President's Day - the day that we take to remember the 42 other birthdays of those who have led this country - but more importantly, the weekend La and I got married 10 years ago (eloped - Vegas - but that's yet another story).

Back to the topic at hand - beach, no more nonsense, blah blah blah...

So - 2.5 hours before we have to pick up the kids, I pondered over a dubious wind forecast and declare to La "Let's go sailing - I don't see the wind picking up to forecasted strength and I'm pretty sure I'll get skunked if I try to bring the kites". From the pictures it's obvious we went.

Well - not only did the wind not pick up to the forecasted 15 mph, we were lucky in some instances to be even moving (lots of holes in the wind field). We did get into some breezes and topped out at 9.6 mph - averaged out to 4.0 mph.

We had the screecher out on the outbound leg, tacked with all three sails up and got it furled away nicely on the way back in.

Record breakdown speed and away we went. Nice afternoon sailing with La!

No comments: