Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fish On!

No pictures again (sorry - I know it makes a difference - I'm going to start using my GoPro despite the distortion).

Went fishing again today after work. The wind has died back (hovering around 5mph instead of 15mph) and the tide was high.

I either hooked into something big or got a snag with my lightweight pole. 15 casts and I was done - but wait!!!!

This time I came better prepared - a second pole (fancy that huh - only took my third time out to remember I have more than one pole here with me).

I brought the Sabiki and guess what? That thing worked like voodoo!

After a 30 minute session, I had landed:

- an 8" Bonefish
- a 4" Goatfish
- a 7" Goatfish with a flag tail
- and a 7" Jack (one that I haven't seen before - threadfin type - actually perhaps a species of Dart?)

So yes - I have caught my first bonefish and it was on a Sabiki rig - nice fighter - I need to start casting my fly rod (except the wind is still pretty influential). I released all four (Does anyone have a good recipe for goatfish?) to fight again another day.

Of the six lures attached to the rig, 2 got stripped off by something bigger than the fish I was able to bring in.

After this point, I was ready to keep one for food, but kinda like when you're surfing and you decide "I'll take the next one in" and that one never comes, I finally got hung up in some coral and lost the rig.

But talk about FUN! I wish I had my two kids out here for this...

No comments: