Monday, August 22, 2011

One (trigger)fish - Two (Bone)fish



Yesterday was solid rain. I did ride my bike in and worked out at the gym, then went in to work for a while. Besides getting wet from the rain, not a very amphibious day.

Mondays are always meat grinder days (aren't they for everyone?). This one was no exception.

I did call it quits at 1730 and rode my bike to the O'Club Beach. The wind was strangely absent and I took the opportunity to cast a deceiver (fly).

After 20 minutes of casting the fly (not too bad, but not too good either - at least it got out there) and not getting a single hit (maybe because the fly was beat to a pulp - it certainly didn't make me hungry), I switched to spinning gear. The other guys fishing were catching the small pompano, mackerel, goatfish and one small trevally.

I caught a Humuhumunukunukuapuaa pretty early on.

Then I got a couple of hard hits that snapped the leader off. When I go back home for leave, I need to get some more braid line.

I put on a small, red squid lure and as soon as I casted it out, the hard hitter took it.

SO I put on a 30 lb test leader and I finally brought the culprits in - these two fine bonefish. I felt generous today so I let them go (they seemed to be on the small side of lumpia making sized).

The good thing about going fishing out here is the lack of logistical preparation - just grab a small bag of bait, your pole and tackle bag and 5 minutes later you're hooking some scaled aquatic life - nice way to end the day!

No comments: