Sunday, September 4, 2011

Flyline Spooling




So I was supposed to be on a free deep sea fishing trip this morning. The wind was up past 16 kts so that got canx'd.

I was pounding out some work emails and then I saw the extra spool, new fly line (scientific anglers, mastery series, saltwater WF-9-F) and 30 lb backing sitting near the TV.

Seeing as how I am easily distracted, I grabbed the fly rod, cut off the poor clouser that has been serving as my training fly, reeled up the old line and leader and removed the current spool.

After that, I tied the backing on, spooled it onto the reel, tied a nail knot to the running end of the fly line, attached a piece of mono with a perfection loop on the side facing out with a nail knot to the working end of the fly line, looped on the leader (0X) and finally blood knotted on some 0X tippet (about four feet).

This spool is ready to go!

Now back to work - if I can crap out seven things I've been working on, I plan on going out to the Donkey Gate (fenced off area to keep the donkeys out of the airfield) to try casting a 'gotcha'.

Stay tuned...

No comments: