Monday, October 24, 2011

Catch and Release (not by choice)


This is a picture of the fish I have not been landing. For those that don't know, this is a coconut crab.

I will list, in bulletized format, the fishing encounters I have had since this past Friday:
Friday
- Flyfishing at O'Club - landed a small Dart and lost a bonefish (weak tippet)
-Late night fishing at the POL Pier Head. Lots of Big Eyed Scads
Saturday
- Skunked at the POL Pier (but was involved in losing a GT that Mike pulled in)
- Lost two Big Trevally at South Point (the first rode a wave off the treble hook; the second charged me, hooked my surf trunks with the second hook and started to shake until it literally unhooked the treble off the lure - if I didn't have it happen to me, I wouldn't have believed it...
- Lost a third Trevally when it broke off the leader on a coral head and had a barracuda jump until it finally cut the line
- Late night fishing at POL Pier again; a few Big Eyed Scad, then caught a few Soldier Fish that on the fly that were feeding on the surface
Sunday
- Skunked at South Point (despite losing two lures - one to a large steady fighter and a second to a hard hit and dragging through coral)
- Landed two smallish groupers (and let them go) at Donkey Gate
- Landed a medium sized snapper at POL Base; it was neat that before I picked him up, he was being tailed and watched by a medium sized trevally
Monday
- Late afternoon run down to South Point; lost another lure to what was probably a big snapper, then I got a hit off a topwater lure (the teeth marks are pretty gnarly) but no taker

I was paying for some really bad activity in a previous life - in total, I lost 5 lures and landed a minuscule percentage of the hits I had.

That's fishing....

No comments: