Sunday, October 2, 2011

Marina Dock Fishing, Round Two




Actually, before we went back to the Marina late this afternoon, I went fishing at the O'Club Beach. I caught two triggerfish on squid/spinning gear. Lots of people there - and some good bonefish were taken.

But - the better part was going back to the Marina. I brought the Tenkara Ito out and used one of the Takayama Sakasa Kebari flies. I cheated a bit by putting a small piece of squid tentacle on the hook. Then I looked for some fish hanging around the dock. I dropped the line and after a few slow jigs, I hooked a decent sized fish. Not having a reel to bring in the fish made the experience completely different. I let the rod fight the fish and eventually I brought it to the surface - a parrotfish!!! What a blast!!! Seeing as how I can't cast a conventional flyrod for 54!t, I may just bring this along for some shore fishing.

Steve pulled in a bonefish and was saying he had other hits. At that point I baited up the spinning rig and after casting a few times, I caught a Trevally (Papio)!!!

So taking all the fish I caught (and released those I did not want for food), I had a trifecta of fish I have not yet caught (the Manini Tang, a Parrotfish and a Trevally).

Today's total: Three Darts, One Manini, Two Triggerfish, one Parrotfish and a Papio. Not bad (and way fun!)

Awesome fishing day, even if it was raining the whole day! Did I mention the Parrotfish is La's favorite fish to eat??? There are few things that make her mouth water the way fried parrotfish does... stay tuned -

No comments: