Saturday, October 15, 2011

Quality Not Quantity



One of my mottos -

I finally got to get out and fish (crazy busy at work).

Went down South (14.5) and pitched some new lures across the surf hoping the Trevally took a liking to the offerings.

I lost a 1 ounce Oama colored Mark White Surface Plug (dang it - I hate it when that happens), but regrouped and pitched out a 1/2 ounce version.

I got a nice hit and landed this Omilu (Bluefin Trevally)! I had a couple more hits, but the hook did not set.

I was able to take these pictures, but the inevitable happened - a wave got me and the camera got wet. I'll have to work the GoPro to continue with the fishing photo evidence.

On the way back in (the surf was a bit rough), I saw a big Pompano (or possibly a Permit, I'll have to research if they live out here) running through the flats - which brings me to the next part...

Up to Donkey Gate -

The surf height made the tactics we used last weekend ineffective (cast beyond the surf to the drop). I decided to breakout the fly gear.

I saw a group of fish and pitched a brown and white clouser to them. I got some nosing (the fish following but not trying to eat the fly). I thought "this is good - now how do I get them to close the deal?"

I switched the fly out to a pink gotcha. I relocated the silvery-green torpedos and started casting again.

On the second cast, I had the whole group of Bonefish following. I was stripping the line and would get to the point where I was going to run out soon so I lifted the rod and then....


The hooked Bonefish ran and fought like heavyweight UFC champ - it brought all the tricks out and made three really long runs! This is the stuff of fishing dreams!

Not the biggest bonefish, but definitely a fight that washed away all the worries of the week. So if last weekend's catches made me a bone fide flyfishing person, today's catch made me a humble flyfisherman. I'm spoiled for life now...

No comments: