Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday Fishing - Part 3 - The Glorious Giant Trevally




The last phase of Sunday Fishing...

After playing with the Bonefish with the flyrod, I decided to throw a lure for a while to see if I could get a good hit.

I was using the lightweight rod/reel and a Mark White surface plug - the same one that picked up the Yellow Spot Trevally - Oh by the way - with that catch, I have caught four different species of Trevally - the Yellow Spot, the Thick Lipped, the Blue Fin and the Giant Trevally. My favorite to catch, clean and eat is the GT. In fact, I think this is my favorite fish period.

I had some chasers but no hits. I subsequently changed lures three times and still didn't get a hit.

Without a hit, I decided to bring out the big guns - my medium weight rig armed with a big Tsunami Popper.

I pitched it out and worked 180 degrees out from a line parallel to the shore along the rocky outcropping - working left to right. Nothing on the first pass.

I decided to cast the lure out in a way so that during retrieve, I could bring it in over a section of reef that had some big holes underneath. On the second cast, I got the strike I was looking for!!!

10 minute fight - I thought the GT was trying to break off on a coral head, but I was able to steer it back into open water. After more pulls - I landed this magnificent fish.

If you can't already tell, I have the utmost respect for the GT!!! This made my week (although not as big a thrill as the 25#'er)!

No comments: