Thursday, September 13, 2012

First Outing on the Big Tuna

I pulled the kids away from their homework this afternoon (BAD DADDY!!!) and took them out on the kayak. This is not one of those light whitewater boats - over 14' long and 85+ pounds, it was a workout getting it set up to make the journey (short walk) to the lake (when I started fishing the lake earlier this summer, I counted less than 300 footsteps). The Wheeleez (large) cart we got did work, but I am going to have to play with the config to get it right - it shifted on me twice going downhill (I think strapping it down on the forward most frame will make it work better). Next time I may use the truck. Once I had it down at the water's edge, I set it up with both seats on the front half of the boat and left the rear cockpit open. I used my Kialoa Shaka Puu and the kayak paddled well. The kids would stick their paddles in every now and then and I'd just shift sides to compensate. Without a fin to track (which wasn't a problem with 14' of waterline) we plowed right over the lily pad stands - fun time!!! Afterwards, I dropped the kids onshore (they just watched a 'Pirate' video and were speaking in 'Arrrrhhhhh's and 'Land Ho's) and tried the kayak setup. I have watched Youtube videos on how to use a kayak paddle, but my muscle memory is in canoe/SUP paddle mode. Practice makes perfect. I did manage to squeeze all 14' (by nearly 36" width) into the garage with all the other watercraft that already occupies the small space - I'll have to figure out how to enlarge the garage...

No comments: