Saturday, February 16, 2013
Cold Saturday Fly Tying
My rendition of a variant of a Egan's Headstand fly called the "Mexican Stand Off" - I didn't come up with the name, I just saw it on a website for carp flies and I thought I'd tie it up. This was actually the first time I used dubbing (and it was easy!!! I'm not sure why I haven't tried it before this...). The other pink flies are more shad dart variants - since I haven't actually fished for shad before, I'm making random size and color patterns and I'll see what works. Noe also helped out - she tied up (mostly by herself with only a little help from me) another sabiki fly. I've been using Clear Cure Goo Tack Free Brushable on nearly all my flies now. On this Mexican Stand Off, I ended up using it today and the CCG bead on the weight/wraps makes a huge difference in quality and durability of the fly. Anyhow - as I referenced above, I did go wading today - more on that shortly.