Saturday, April 13, 2013

Bluegill Saturday

Surprise surprise - we went fishing down at the Lake (Newport) again. Marlon used his spinning gear and I brought the Nissin Fine Mode. The Bluegill were everywhere - pretty much the summer pattern minus all the lilypads. I did hook up with the resident Crappie again, and again it got off the hook (I hope I am not doing it permanent damage - or else I'll have to eat it). Marlon caught the big one of the day - Bull Bluegill - his only fish for the day. When he hooked into that one, I simultaneously hooked up with a decent sized Yellow Perch. I kept mine in the water to take Marlon's picture and help the kids land the big bruiser, but when I tried to land mine, it looked at me and broke off (brand new fly too). We stayed out a total of 2 and a half hours (nice sunny day) and by the end I had hooked up with 20 or so Bluegill. I am trying not to get jaded with these Lake Newport residents, but tomorrow I'll try to mix it up at another area lake so as to not burn out in the backyard. Maybe I'll try for some Shad down at Fletcher's Cove...

No comments: