Friday, July 19, 2013

Hooked SUP Arrived, Part 4

Despite it's dimensions - 11'8" x 36" x 5" (I need to double check the thickness dim), the volume is carried very well across the board. As I am getting older and further away from the physical ocean (3.5 hours is the farthest inland I've lived - except for my year in Baghdad but I'm not going to dredge that up), I am rapidly losing my board snobbery. In my 20's all I wanted to surf were high performance shortboards. My attitude was "shoot me and put me out of my misery if you ever see me on a boogie board". I got into windsurfing in my late 20s and more into kiting in my 30's - again high performance. But now that Marlon and Noe are getting comfortable with being in the surf and the ocean (long drives to the salt are treasured times despite the monkey butt from sitting too long), I am cemented in the idea of going unconventional to extract the maximum stoke out of any situation. My Fourth Gear Flyer surfmat, ULI Fat Ass Quad and now this Hooked SUP are the primary examples of looking beyond mainstream and into the enlightened. It is a big board - huge in fact, but it also looks very well proportioned (again despite the XL numbers). We're going to have tons of fun with this thing!!! Stay tuned!!!

No comments: