Saturday, August 10, 2013

Carping Saturday

I drove down the the C&O Canal this morning to spend a couple of hours chasing the carp that live there. I used the Daiwa 43MF Kiyose rod and brought this 17" (nearly - hey it isn't a fish story if you don't stretch the "tape" a little) to hand. A few minutes after I let it go, I hooked into a much bigger carp - during the fight it used a quick change of direction against me to break the lilian off the tip of my rod - that was it for carping today. Waiting for the takes, getting to see the carp inhale the fly and setting the hook are in the group of events where time stands still - like surfing a barrel, the apex of a big air kite jump or jumping off a high rock face into a pool of water below - definitely adrenaline producing! With my heavyweight rod out of commission (for now) I started walking back and I took out the Nissin Fine Mode Seiryu rod I have and cast a blue popper - I got some takes from the sunfish lining the banks of the canal - they don't start the adrenaline pumps the same way big carp do, but they are enjoyable nonetheless. Fishing for carp may not seem glamorous or a noble pursuit - but it is a BLAST!!!

No comments: