Saturday, August 17, 2013

Look But No Touching - Turned Down By The Locals

Based on last week's carpocalypse, I figured going back to Lock 7 to fish on Saturday morning would be a surefire way to fill my stoke bank. The weather this week has been awesome - Fall temperatures and low humidity. Very comfortable for humans, but for cold blooded animals the lower temps slow things down. I saw five carp just hanging out in the canal - but they weren't interested in any of the flies I presented. I was looking for feeders grubbing around the bottom and I saw mudding plumes and bubble columns, but instead of feeding carp, I learned that turtles generate the same signs. This turtle was huge - hard to gain scale from the picture but it was about 24" in diameter. The heron in the picture did catch a fish. Just minutes before this picture it had caught and eaten a decent sized carp. Sometimes it's okay to not catch fish.

No comments: