Sunday, August 4, 2013

Pulling Out a Stuck SUV

I took a trip to Kauai a few years back and got a Dodge Charger for a rental car (it was all the rental company had). I had a little free time and I wanted to check out a beach I had hiked to a much longer time ago. The paved road ended and turned into a hard packed dirt road. The hard dirt road ended in a series of cutouts between naupaka bushes where you parked your car, walked out to the wide beach and proceed to have a wonderful time. Dodge Chargers and deep sand banks disguised as hard pack dirt road don't go well together. After sweating my ass off trying to dig the car out (by hand), a local guy in a Toyota 4x4 pickup truck came rolling along and offered to pull me out. He got me back out on to the hard pack and I offered him the money I had in my wallet ($60) but he said 'no - I'm just glad to help out'. I said mahalo and we parted ways. Since that time, I bought my Surf Taco and one of the first things I bought was a tow strap. Yesterday I got my chance to pay it kokua forward and pull someone who was stuck out of their predicament. I love my truck!

No comments: