Saturday, October 5, 2013

Caturday

No skunks today - but it was close... I went fishing off the SUP at Algonkian Park. I caught a largish Green Sunfish shortly after paddling out - always good to get the skunk off quick. Then I paddled and fished, paddled and fished, paddled and fished some more but did no catching for nearly two hours. I saw some small mouth and large mouth, some carp and several catfish, but no takers. The seasons are definitely changing and the bite is slowing down. The fish are still pretty active and the water is still warm - they are just behaving different - no longer killing the poppers on top. Finally, as I was on my way back in, I saw some smaller catfish - I tried getting them to take an orange/brown clouser minnow, but they weren't going to be fooled. After fumbling around trying to get a Gulp Cricket on the hook, I finally got a cast out to a sleeping (or lazy) Channel Cat. Despite all my noise, fumbling and general crappy fishing, I got the cricket out on a line that would connect with the fish. I had to pull the bait right in front of it's mouth before it even moved - but move it did, in the right direction and after all the expended energy today - I watched the lazy cat slowly wiggle two inches to put the bait in it's mouth. It woke up after that - and after wrestling with it for a few minutes, I had the cat up on deck. Not a small catfish. I thought that maybe I'd bring this one home - but changed my mind and let it swim away none the worse. Get out there and catch while the fish are still willing.

No comments: