Sunday, November 24, 2013

Fall Fishing Jackpot

Cold, overcast and windy conditions. Pink squirmy wormy fly. New tenkara rod I got for my birthday. Questionable judgement in choosing fishing spot (you anglers in DC know what I'm talking about). But oh man did it payoff! I literally lost count of how many fish I caught. Granted they weren't big, but given the late Fall conditions, I'm not complaining. At low tide, this is 100% sight fishing. Shallow, interconnected pools with steady flow in one direction. This feeder into the Potomac is well known and highly visible - it falls back to the questionable judgement on how desperate someone has to be to fish this place. I have been here before, but haven't caught anything. I have seen people pull large carp out of the water here and put them in plastic bags certainly bound for the frying pan. But knowing what flows through this run, I would not think of eating fish from here, especially bottom feeders. But I will try to catch them while the rest of the area's fishing has gone into hibernation. I will still try other spots over the next several months, but I now have a solid fall back for those days when casting a line and getting a few takes is all I need to wash away the stress from work. Now I'll have to find a good cleaner to wash away the questionable stuff off my boots and waders....

No comments: