Thursday, December 26, 2013

Fishing the Christmas Present

We slept in late and hung out at the house for a while - nice and relaxing. But after knocking out the errands, walking around the neighborhood and eating leftovers, the thought of casting the new flyline (RIO Gold WF3) and anointing the Barclay Glass 3wt and Abel Creek 1 Large Arbor that La and the kids got me (allowed me to procure) for Christmas entered my head. We were going to hit the bookstore anyways, so I got the crew to load the van and off we went to the one sure fire place I can go in winter to catch fish. I must say - casting fiberglass is a truly wonderful feeling. Sure - if it's windy out, or you are trying to hit a dinner plate 75' away, graphite would be your choice. Heck, if you are casting bigger chunky pieces of feathery simulated meat, grab that graphite rod. And if you just want to go with the flow, cast away o' graphite laser pointer... But if you want your casting to have soul, if you want to be able to feel the line loops as you cast them, and if you want to have the ability to make a small green sunfish feel like leviathan trying to drag you to the bottom of Davey Jone's locker, trust me that a fiberglass 3wt can delivery in spades. The tide was more than a little too high - but I did manage to avoid the skunk and get the rod/reel/line combo properly anointed by winning the tug-o-war match with this leviathan, I mean green sunfish. Another great Christmas!!!

No comments: