Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Scarfing

With the temperatures dropping and the fish and surf slowing down in the Northern Hemisphere, I've been FORCED to seek new alternatives. And in determining where to channel my pent up energy, I sought the most noble of pursuits - a quest of epic proportions and one that will enrich my repertoire. Nevermind kitesurfing. Forget windsurfing or conquering wind driven waves. No - mano e piscine wrestling doesn't hold a candle to this. I consulted with the great oracle (You Tube) and taught myself to knit. YES I SAID KNIT. In reality, I have aspirations to knit rod "tube socks" for the fly rod tubes I have - a small way to protect the tubes that protect the rods. But as in all of the supreme endeavors worth pursuing, the journey begins with a single step. Here are the first steps I've taken in a new and exciting world - scarves. One for Marlon and one for Noe. Now I know what you're think - "Oh how the mighty have fallen!!!???!!! What is this world coming to? Is there no hope for the generation of new and most powerful stoke?". Well, I will admit - I don't get the same adrenaline hit that I do stalking fish with self-tied flies, or paddling into a head high waves - but for those times when I can't be outside, or when the soul requires rest and solace, I believe I have now found the gap filler. Think about the benefits of practicing this new skill - now those long flights will seem shorter. The days of endless, pounding rain will no longer be spent sulking. And when drydocked from surfing due to orders or force protection measures, I can still contribute to my surfing or fishing by making rod tube socks, fishing mittens, scarves, fisherman/surfer sweaters, Steve Zissou watch caps, and other nautical fare worthy of developing a briny patina. Don't knock it til you try it...

No comments: