Sunday, January 12, 2014

Casting Practice (Skunked)

Making do on a cloudly, cold rainy Saturday, I brought the Orvis Superfine Glass 7'0" 3wt and Carl Z's Tadpole out to 4MR. Originally, I wanted to catch fish, but with the rains and really cold temperatures, the water was not conducive for hooking up - lots of current and sediment, oh and really cold.So to salvage the 35 minute one way trip - I switched to practice casting. Taking the time to just cast without worrying about looking for fish to fool definitely makes you analyze your mechanics. I found that I was getting too many tailing loops on my forward casts. I've since hit youtube looking for corrective measures and on line lessons. And so, I went fishing for the first time in 2014 and got skunked by the fish (sucks). But I did get a bit better at casting (important). The Superfine went in the mail to the next loan recipient and I am eagerly awaiting the next rod (checkout the Fiberglass Manifesto for the rod loan program). I packed up and left just before the rain hit.

No comments: