Saturday, January 18, 2014

Optimizing Time and Perfecting the Impossible

Spent a few minutes after work practicing casts with the Featherlight and a DT6 line. I can't say that I'm getting better, but I can say that I can better recognize what mistakes I am making. Not all is lost though - especially with a life-long pursuit like surfing or flyfishing, you have good days, and you have some less good days. Seeing less pile casts (leader-tippet-fly landing in a big bird's nest), lots more distance in every cast, and being able to hit targets with my eyes closed and using "the Force"/feeling the rod load and release has made most of these past several days good ones. Before closing this post, I have to endorse this very inexpensive rod again - the Eagle Claw Featherlight 7'0" 5/6wt 2 piece fiberglass rod. This is definitely a way to get into flyfishing for much less than you would imagine. Yeah, I will still get rods that are hundreds of $ - that is just the way I am when I get interested in something, but I am really just intent on getting rods that cast lines well with the cadence that I have and allow me to smile when I cast to spots in the grass or when I'm lucky enough to, the piscine tug-o'-war championship league members. More exposure to different rods equates to more experience and better defining what it is I like in a rod. Being able to trade helps a lot too. Do yourself a favor, go out and buy this rod, beat the heck out of it and make a ton of memories!

No comments: