Friday, January 3, 2014

Practice Casting the Barclay Glass

While I was casting, I decided to try and get to know the Barclay Glass rod better. I lined it with the WF4F SA Trout line and began casting. It seemed to like the heavier line better (even though RIO Golds are slightly heavier to begin with - maybe the 3 I have is a 3.5), but as I continued to cast, I started to realize, it was not the rod, or the 3wt Gold, or even the 4wt SA Trout line - it was my cadence. I can feel the rod load, I think I now need to slow down my pauses between the load and foward/back casts. I'll go back to the RIO Gold 3wt line and try slowing everything down and enjoy the sweetness this rod promises. It just so happens that I will be participating in fiberglass rod get together tomorrow - other guys bringing other rods and everybody casting them all. Of course I'll get there early and chuck some fake meat to the year-round sunnies. So here I take my first steps to becoming a better fly caster -

No comments: