Monday, January 20, 2014

The Usual Suspects

Here are a few more of the fish that were willing to play - another Large Mouth bass, one of the Bluegills I landed and a couple of the Green Sunfish. I think my totals for the day were 4 Large Mouths, 5 Bluegills and 5 Greens. I had several others get on the line but quickly get back off - one of the flies I was using had a chemically sharpened size 14 jig hook and if the fish was able to pick up my slack, it was able to come off the hook (good for them - you can't win every battle). If I haven't already mentioned it - I am casting the Barclay 3wt really well now. I don't know if it was the practice casts, or watching others cast it - possibly a bit of both mixed in with the new RIO Perception WF3F line - but in any case the Barclay is working for me now. There is very little that is more satisfying than watching loops fly by, slowly unrolling and 'placing' the fly where you just sighted some fish. There is the take, the fight, casting flies that you made yourself, (there's also catching a sweet wave and getting barreled), and watching a released fish swim away are close seconds and thirds, but hey - whatever the list, right now properly executed casts are high up on the list for me. Nearly all the fish I caught were on the little micro-gurglers. The wind was up a little, but that didn't stop me - after the bite started to slow down, I started making my way back and stopping only to practice cast - sweet rod and fun fish (especially in the middle of winter).

No comments: