Saturday, January 18, 2014

There's a Reason for Everything (Custom Barclay Epic 686)

So the previous post seemed a little gratuitous to you huh??? Well here's the reason why I posted it. I ply the waters on the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum and in their Classified section, rods come and go. Lots get sold, but several also get traded. I was able to broker a trade for the Orvis Superfine Touch 5wt in exchange for this Epic 686 built up by Chris Barclay. I loved the Touch, but I wasn't using it and I have been looking for a fiberglass rod in the 5-6 weight range to take on some baby leviathans. Despite the Postman braving the elements to deliver this awesome parcel, it was WAY too cold outside today to cast a line. I did get it out in the sunshine to see the translucence. If I haven't said it before, I'll say it here "I don't like the cold" - I'm pretty sure I've said that many times. But for now, I'll just have to wait for warmer weather and dream of wrestling some bass and shad with this rod. There are plenty of subtle details - the exquisite wraps, the subtle but useful alignment dots and that "begging to get wet" reel seat (looks to be salt resistant) - this is looking to be the missing link between my softer 3 and 4 weight fiberglass rods and the saltwater graphite bruisers in the 8 weight range. I can easily see targeting carp and small mouths one day, then turning around and casting some shrimp flies to redfish the next day. Now for that warm, sunny weather...

No comments: