Sunday, February 9, 2014

More Time with the Scott F2 6533

Saturday morning fishing at 4 Mile Run (yes again - every place else is frozen over). I ended up catching a bunch of sunnies - 4 Mile Run Trifecta. I met up with Bruce - another flyrodder in this area and we discussed who's boots and waders were more frozen this morning. I lined the Scott F2 6533 with a RIO Perception line - if you recall, I used a RIO Gold last time. The Perception worked well with the F2 6533, but I think my casting got more out of using the Gold. I was having too much fun casting to swap out the line. When I am not distracted by the piscine antagonists, I might see fit to just cast and swap lines to get a more objective take on the line performance. I did walk down to the Route 1 bridges and cast to the power pole island. Bunches of sunnies in that water, but what I was really hoping for was a shot at the goldfish that traverse that area. No goldfish, but I did get to meet "Todd" - a member of the TPRF group here in the DC/NorVa/Maryland area - he's the guy who has inspired me to tag one of these huge "Free Willy" fish (not flushed upon disposal, but dumped in the river to grow into an invasive species new to the river - heck with airplanes flying everywhere and all our modern conveniences, this will all be one world soon enough). He was nice enough to fully explain his technique and lures - now I just have to spend the time out there to get my shot. Todd asked about the Scott in my hand and I let him cast it - he was pushing really long, nice loops - yet another person to make me feel like a crappy caster (more incentive to get better). I can't wait for spring to arrive... not that I don't appreciate being able to still fish in the middle of winter, but variety is a good thing and there is only so much you can do at 4 Mile Run. I still don't like winter...

No comments: