Thursday, February 6, 2014

Not "G" Rated - You have been warned

There is a distinct culture among US Navy Divers. Diving ain't easy - and it ain't for everyone. The Navy Museum has a small section displaying diving gear in the back corner (fitting place to put the rifraf). This is a close up of the previous picture. Divers always seem to have a blue and gold tshirt on with some saying that other divers before them have immortalized. One tshirt that stands out in my memory is one with a diver wearing a watch cap, suited up with the copper collar on, but no MK V helmet on yet. He has a cup of coffee in his hand and a smile on his face. The caption on the tshirt says "How about a good cup of shut the fuck up!!!" - a nice way of saying "get to work you sniveling piece of shit - if you want to complain go out and be a sillyvilian - if you want to be a Navy Diver, man up, jump in and turn two" The look on this little model's face and the way he is holding the lantern says what that tshirt has in writing. You can't be claustrophobic if you are going to be a diver. This must have sucked. Divers embrace suck. Oh and this guy is naked. Navy Divers do like running around naked - at least in the old days they did. Or when no one is looking. No one that can put you in the brig. As I am closing in on my retirement date (74 working days left, and if you take what leave I'll have left over before going on terminal, I'm really down to 58 working days) I smile remembering all the diving, camaraderie, and tshirts I had. I am proud that I contributed to the Diving culture and will always snicker that I drink coffee too (now GET TO WORK)!!!

No comments: