Monday, September 22, 2014

Fishing Report 9/21/2014

Went out twice yesterday. First stop was at the southern end of Little Talbot Island. I brought the St Croix Tide Master spinning rod, the Cabela CGR 7/8wt Fiberglass Flyrod (with an Orvis Redfish line) and the Orvis Hydros 8wt (with intermediate sink line) to be ready for what was there - which was nothing for me. The surf was bigger than I thought it would be, so I figured the catching would be tough. There were finger mullet swimming in the thousands. I kept an eye out for any predatory fish, but the only follow I had was from a needlefish. I did catch a starfish... The last stop was at the Mayport Beach, closer to the 'Poles' side. Full tide, thick surf and no fish - EXCEPT this lone volunteer that stepped in to ward off the ever-present skunking. Thank you catfish - thank you for ensuring my day ended happily and that even though you lost the game of tug o' war (the surf fishing rig is overkill I'll admit), you still got to gum some tasty bait and you proved that fish still live in the ocean when it's "Victory At Sea". I think I'm going to have to start using shrimp for bait - the formulated stuff is not getting the bites it used to...

No comments: