Sunday, October 8, 2017

Back Out

And while Marlon was at music practice today, I decided to break out the fly fishing gear and cast some line.  I ended up at Hickam on the harbor side.  I didn't have any hook ups, but I did get a bunch of humuhumunukunukuapua'as to chase.  I need to dial in the flies again - I got the most interest using a small mantis type that was burnt orange.



Oddly enough, unlike this morning's surf session there was a decent breeze on the flats.  On most of my outings in the last year, I've been focusing on using fiberglass rods - mainly to get my casting stroke dialed in (slower = better form).  I brought out a carbon rod today - Scott Meridian - and casting into the wind was much easier than normal.  I have been ignoring my carbon lately - I may have to turn that trend around.  This rod helps you cast some really tight loops without extreme effort - I likee!!!  I used a RIO Bonefish (non quickshooter) line.



I have really been trying to limit the breadth of the things that I get into - surfing, fishing, horticulture, ceramics and cooking methods - but I still find it challenging to do even these limited things (yes this is limited - there are some many things I want to do, but I know I am limited on time and other resources).  

Time is truly our most valuable thing.

No comments: