Saturday, October 14, 2017

Using Bait to Break the No Catching Streak

I took Marlon out this morning to get some fishing in.  I saw a bunch of tailing bonefish on the way out to the channel (I should have turned around and grabbed the flyrod...) - but the mission was to catch fish and not just fish.  Ika strips and spinning gear = catching!!!

Marlon caught the first fish - a good sized po'opa'a (po - o - pah - ah).




And I got my first fish in quite some time - a "just too small to eat - because these should grow and spawn first" papio


The next fish I hooked up to was a coronet fish - this one was barely hooked (I think it just really wanted to the eat the squid).



And I even picked up a third - another papio!





Next time I'm going to bring my light game St Croix Triumph rod.  We called it after this fish and pressed our luck at the harbor side.  We tried flyfishing for the humuhumunukunukuapua'a but the tide had filled in and the wind picked up substantially.  Well - we at least got to catch a few!!!




No comments: