Monday, October 15, 2018

First Test Run

Marlon and I took turns trying out the foil this past Saturday afternoon.  There is definitely a learning curve associated with this...


First - I need longer screws to properly shim the foil to correct for the tail rocker on the board.  It was not impossible to catch waves and get the foil to lift, but if shimmed better, I think it'll be much easier.


Here's a picture of  Marlon catching a wave and just before the foil lifted him up.  I caught four waves and my longest ride was about 4 seconds.  There is no forgiveness if you do not stay centered on the board or if you lighten up pressure on your front foot.  Either of these happen and the board bucks you straight off.


I may go ahead and crank out a dedicated foil board as I can carve out the time - I think with more paddling power and a much straighter rocker (like minimal nose rocker and nothing else), learning will be easier.  All said and done, not a bad first outting.

No comments: