Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Catch Up Post - 16 September

Marlon and I hit the evening surf - 2-3' swell (waist to chest high), light trades (side chop - textured surface), and a 1.7' tide.  I decided to try something different.  I brought the 5'2" and the SLingshot Gamma with the 24" mast.


I caught a bunch, but only on about a third of them did I fly the foil for any appreciable difference.  I brought this rig to see about being more stable on steeper takeoffs - it wasn't until near the end of the session where I was remembering how to takeoff on this shorter board.  I had to use my front hand like a third foot as I transitioned from prone to standing.  After I figured that out, things got better.  I also beached once and set the foil more forward in the tracks to get more lift - helped, but I still wasn't flying with ease.  Not sure how much the choppy conditions and constant rollers impacted the quality of the rides or the efficiency of the foil, but I think next time I'll set up the Infinity 76.


Marlon was getting rides all over the place - there is something to be said about having one board and sticking to it - but I can't help myself - if there is something to be learned, I'm there.  Even if it means feeling like a kook sometimes.

No comments: