Sunday, December 1, 2019

Dialing in the 4'6"

I'm now at the point in shaping this one where my OCD is a detriment.  I keep chasing the little asymmetries - and chasing, and chasing... you get the idea.



This is pretty close - and I'm going to stop the rough sanding here (80 and 100 grit).  Both of these pictures are of the bottom deck.


I'm using a slight downturn on my noses, since these things get flipped over and paddled upside down for a fair distance (to get the foil to deep water).


Next step is a quick hit with 180, 220 and 400 grit sandpaper.  Then I'll route out the voids where the high density foam block will go (going to use a premade one from Fiberglass Hawaii instead of a homemade one), vacuum it in place, then cut out the finbox slots.  Then glassing.  I'm going to try to get this one lighter than the 4'10" by using carbon tape along the stringer on top and by only using carbon around the mast track on the bottom.  I don't mind the weight of full carbon on a polyurethane blank, but I want to see if I can get similar response from a lighter glassed board from this one as compared to the 4'10".

No comments: