Monday, May 18, 2009

Great tools



I have grown to love tools (what person in their right mind doesn't?)! Even if you don't think you love tools, you just haven't opened your eyes wide enough. La has tools galore! Anything you need to sew - even a very smart sewing machine (so smart it feints injury so it doesn't have to work - I got to try that sometime).

One of my newest is this electric scissors from Black and Decker. This things cuts through fiberglass like it was tissue paper!

The best tool I have ever had is this DeWalt Random Orbital Palm Sander. I bought it somewhere on Oahu back in 1997 when I started playing with fiberglass (to modify a Gerry Lopez 6'0" surfboard into a kiteboard - but that's a couple of different stories). I've used it on every surfboard shaping and repair job I have done since then. I would have trouble counting all of them, but I suspect the repair jobs number somewhere above 100 (I don't turn down opportunities to work on someone else's boards either) and the shaping is up past ten now (other people's stuff counted too). I've had to change out the backing pad on this thing 4 times now - and it still won't quit!!!!

In time I know this will go the way of social security and medicare (BROKEN), but when it does, it will only be immortalized in my own personal hall of fame!!!

Anyways - time to get off the computer and get some sleep.

No comments: