Sunday, November 17, 2013

Blueg Saves the Day

I hiked a bit from where I normally fish at Goose Creek - just to see what was upstream. Wider banks with pools that looked like they would be attractive places for fish to hangout... when the water is warm. I had fully prepared myself mentally to not catch anything during this outing despite bringing along my old trustworthy tenkara rods and ultralight spinning rigs - and Gulp Crickets (fish crack). Well, as the picture depicts, I was able to play tug-o-war with a lone blueg - this species, more than any other as warded off skunk after skunk for me. I did see a few schools of young fish - 1-2" long in the shallows. I bet they appreciate the break from being chased around by the bigger predators, but having to contend with the cooler water has it's issues (freezing solid, lower food supplies, fish eating birds to name a few). This time last year I caught my last fish of the year and turned to the tying vise to blow off stress. As fun as that can be learning to tie new flies, it isn't the adrenaline hit that fishing can be (which is not the hit surfing or kiting are). I still plan on casting the line at the limited local places and even driving to cast to trout for the first time, but the care free days of summer - knowing that the fish are willing to fight - are definitely past.

No comments: