Monday, October 6, 2014

Fishing Report 10/3/2014

Catching up on some posts from the weekend. I went SUP fishing to explore the low tide exposures at Dutton Island. I got skunked, but I did get some hits on a curly tail gulp - the bait got nearly cut in half by the first hit and had some good teeth gouges on the second. I'm not sure what the fish where, but a skunk is a skunk. I did get a real close look at the edges of the spartina grass flats - lots of holes where fiddler crabs were the dominate species - not the marsh crabs I saw last time during the high tide. This is enlightening (for me anyways) in that most spartina grass flies are of the bigger crab type tied in the "merkin" fashion to get a fuller body. I'm going to have to get over my reluctance to tie with yarn and make some 'fiddler' crab flies. Those holes in the mud are crab condos - or redfish feeding troughs.... where's my vise?

No comments: