Friday, May 15, 2015

Thursday Puffer

I decided to go fishing after work instead of doing laps at the pool. I was fishing for paipo on the flats (Fenwick 9'0" Medium Power Spinning Rod, Penn Spinfisher V 3500 with 6 pound test monofilament line) when I saw something moving out of the corner of my eye. I saw this guy swimming along. I managed to catch it with my bare hands (just cradled it really). It did not inflate and the spikes weren't deployed. I was more worried about keeping my fingers away from it's mouth (these guys can bite through hooks - my finger would be quite the snack - meaty and crunchy). It's neat what you can find on the flats if you keep your eyes open. I also managed to hook up with a paipo. I saw a pretty big weke (goatfish) following my lure (but it didn't take) and a barracuda sniped off my 1/12 ounce Kastmaster lure. I've lost more tackle to the small barracuda out here than I care to recall - I haven't even caught one to show for it. The funny thing is when I deliberately fish for them, they are no where to be found. Smart bugga's....

No comments: