Looking at this design, there is actually some really good design points - especially with regards to the rear wing. The shim looks like it will take the brunt of any bottom hits - instead of the rear wing tip.
After I was drying off at the truck, I realized that perhaps I need to bolt the pedestal on towards the way back of the board. This front wing has enough surface area to lift me easily - I just need more control now. Compared to the foil I built, this wing is about 25% larger (by eyeball estimate). I can definitely feel the response in the lift it delivers.
Yup - I'll jam this all the way back the next time I go out. That should reduce the bucking.