Sunday, April 28, 2013

Milk Crate (Legally Procured) Fishing Basket

Seeing the copious amounts of uneducated carp (dumb to the way of the fly) yesterday inspired me to catch up on a planned project that I have had on the shelf for a while - the custom milk crate fishing basket. I already have a Boardfisher basket, but the tube configuration on it is not optimum for how I want to fish on a SUP (oh - the carp fishing would have me on the Starboard Blend - remember the post from yesterday at Beavercreek Reservoir?). I will put three rod tubes on this crate - all screwed down to a chopping board that I got permission to cut up. One will be straight up for holding a net/gaff/third rod, and the other two will lean out opposing sides at between 45 to 60 degrees to support trolling while paddling. I will also put two Mighty Mounts will backing plates on the non-chopping block braced side and a third on the chopping board side - for cameras, GPS and other smaller gear. I'll also be drilling in a few drain holes for good measure. I have to get two more backing plates and another Mighty Mount as well as some good stainless screws and nuts for the rod tubes. Other than that, the new crate should be done by this weekend! I can just see it now - getting dragged around by golden bonefish... ahh yes, that's the next goal

No comments: