Sunday, April 28, 2013

SUPing around CARP Nasty!!!

After lunch, we loaded up the truck with La's SUP and the kayak and headed over to Fairfax Reservoir. We thought the lake was Beaverdam Creek, but when we asked some of the other people at the dock, they corrected us (nicely of course). As usual, the kids lounged out on their kayak chairs, La buzzed around on her SUP (very nice form now) and I got to paddle the kids and the food/drinks around (but I like doing that). I think I can really use a flats pole at place like this - in fact as we were dragging the drag chain going downwind I saw TONS of carp (I think they were spawning) and all I could see in my head was me flycasting to bonefish back on Diego Garcia... I think I have found my new favorite paddling spot!!! I left my 5wt in the truck, so I was casting with my Nissin Seiryu rod - I managed to hook one carp after a very long time and it broke off in the blink of an eye. That's fishing! Next time I'll bring the Starboard 11'2" decked out for fishing and those carp will be MINE!!! AHH - AHH - AHH - AHH - AHHHHHH!!!! We bumped into a guy shooting the carp with a bow and arrow - looked like tons of fun! I told him to go down a little bit further and he'd be shooting them in a "barrel". He said thanks and asked if I ate carp because he had 10 in the boat - I said thanks but I only eat saltwater fish. Noe then asked "Can he release the fish if he shoots them with an arrow?" and I said "No - they are dead at that point". Since we have been catching and releasing everything when we go fishing, the kids have come to think that happens all the time. Noe then said "I don't want to do that kind of fishing because then the fish are dead!". Lesson learned here - take notes because this is free - make the most of where you live and be a happy person. We have lived in some pretty cool places by the sea and have loved it - now we live inland, but you can find really cool things anywhere, just open your eyes and look!

No comments: