Sunday, February 2, 2014

First Catches of February - Yes, 4 Mile Run AGAIN

But when all the other water around is hard, you gotta do what you gotta do... I brought out the Barclay Glass 7'2" 3 wt with a RIO Perception line and had a BLAST!!! I was at a point where I was having just as much fun casting as I was with catching fish. Owning this rod has forced me to improve my casting - but the payoff is nice loops sailing through on both forward and back casts and the smooth, progressive feeling of the rod loading and unloading. Casting the Barclay has taught me a lot - that I sucked casting before I got this rod; that the joy in flyfishing is not the fishing; and that there is a lot I have to learn still. I never understood this with graphite. I probably still suck, but I am getting better. It has taken me a while to refine my casting to enjoy this rod - but man was it worth it!!! I looked up the reports of some of the other guys in the area who had to wet a line - the guys fishing further downstream of where I was were able to hook up some giant goldfish (google Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, 4MR). I might just have to go back AGAIN...

No comments: